Several Popular Events are Back on the Calendar this Summer and Fall
Swap working remotely for playing remotely in Nevada’s hidden gem. Ely is back open for tourism and there’s already a slew of uniquely Ely events on the calendar. About a four-hour drive from Las Vegas and Salt Lake City and five hours from Reno, Ely is known for its rugged, undisturbed wilderness and unique history. It’s also making a name for itself among mountain bikers thanks to dozens of miles of some of the best singletrack mountain biking you’ll find in the United States.
For travelers looking for a true, wild west road trip, here’s a breakdown of some of the events scheduled for this summer and fall:
- White Pine Fair and Horse Races (Aug. 21-23): The White Pine County Fair returns to the WPC fairground for the oldest horse racing event in Nevada. Activities include three days of live music, barbecue, crafts, vendors, 4H exhibits, livestock auctions and more. Come down to the fairgrounds early on Friday and Sunday for the White Pine Ranch Rodeo. Contestants compete in events like bronco riding, barrel racing, roping and even mutton busting for the kids.
- Boys & Girls Club Art and Wine Walk (Aug. 29): The Annual Art and Wine Walk benefits the Boys and Girls Club and showcases Ely’s downtown, from the Renaissance Village to the Art Gallery. The event runs from 4 – 9 p.m. with a live auction at 7 p.m.
- Race the Rails Bike Race (Sept. 12): Mountain bikers test their skills on a challenging 10-mile course through the beautiful mountains surrounding Ely, while road bikers prove their speed and endurance on a 25-mile course along roads and highways in the area. Everyone who finishes the course will receive a medal.
- Silver State Classic Challenge (Sept.17-20): For car racing enthusiasts, the Silver State Classic Challenge may seem too good to be true. An open-road race on a closed public highway? And I can drive my street car as fast as I want? But it is true, and car enthusiasts from around the world flock to Ely, Nev., every year to live that dream.
- Fears, Tears and Beers Mountain Bike Enduro (Sept. 26): It’s the oldest and toughest mountain biking enduro race in the country. Bikers ride through two casinos to the top of Ward mountain and are timed at specific sections of the course. There are anywhere from two to seven sections, mostly consisting of twisty downhills and sprints. The sum of the times on these special tests determine the winner.