Best of Winter Boat-Hotel Deals, Hiking and Camping, Outdoor Dining, Shops, Land and Water Activities, Reopen Just in Time for Spring Break
As LA County reopens to leisure travel, staying close to home and enjoying the great outdoors are key trends according to TripAdvisor. Catalina Island is just 22 miles off the coast of Southern California and known for providing visitors an experience that has been compared to the Mediterranean.
Effective as of January 29, 2021, the updated Los Angeles County Public Health orders allow the additional businesses to reopen with updated protocols. Social distancing and face covering guidelines remain in place at all establishments on the island. Following is a brief on the status of the island’s businesses, including transportation, dining, lodging experiences and camping:
Transportation: Catalina Express is operating daily passenger ferry service from Long Beach to Avalon; weekend service from Dana Point to Avalon starting on February 12; and weekend service from San Pedro to both Two Harbors and Avalon starting on February 12. Due to the vessels operating at reduced capacity for distancing, visitors are encouraged to make reservations early to ensure a seat. Face masks are required by passengers and employees at all times while in the terminal, waiting to board and while on the vessels. Learn more about Catalina Express’ distancing procedures and robust cleaning protocols here.
Dining on the Beach/Restaurants: Outdoor dining guidelines have made it possible for many restaurants to reopen and, just as this past summer, several are setting up tables to serve guests directly on the beach! A list of all open restaurants can be found online here.
Lodging/Vacation Experiences:“Best of Winter”offering through March 5, 2021. With activities galore to experience, there’s no reason not to stay a night or two in Avalon. Following is a sampling of winter offerings; a full listing can be found here. Each package includes round-trip boat transportation on Catalina Express. Even better, several Avalon hotels offer complimentary continental breakfast and/or wine and cheese hour.
Aurora Hotel Inspired by the sea, Aurora immerses guests in relaxation and the comfort of modern style. Avalon’s coolest inn combines Catalina bed and breakfast hospitality with a metropolitan boutique hotel ambiance.
The Best of Winter Package includes:
- Two-night overnight accommodations
- Round-trip transportation on Catalina Express·
- Tray service breakfast
- Pricing starting at $399 plus tax (double occupancy), representing up to 35 percent in savings
- Offer is valid mid-week through March 5, 2021, based on availability. Cannot be combined with any other special offer.
- To take advantage of this special rate, you must travel to the island between Sunday and Thursday and return to the mainland between Monday and Friday.
Centrally located in the heart of Avalon, and just steps from the beach, Hotel Metropole is the perfect spot for romantic, family and singles getaways. The hotel offers free WiFi and complimentary continental breakfast.
Best of Winter Package includes:
- One night in a Deluxe Room
- Two round-trip tickets on Catalina Express
- Champagne upon arrival
- Starting at $269 plus tax, based on availability and double occupancy
- Valid Sun – Thurs only through March 5, 2021. This deal represents a 35 percent savings.
Snug Harbor Inn
Snug Harbor Inn is a quaint, six-room, luxury hotel located in Avalon. The hotel’s stylish and welcoming Cape Cod theme not only soothes the most harried of souls but also evokes the essence and romance of life by the sea.
The Best of Winter package includes:·
- Luxury one-night accommodations
- Round-trip boat transportation on Catalina Express
- Complimentary bottle of champagne upon arrival
- Continental breakfast served to your room
- Evening wine and hors d’oeuvres
- Offer is valid Sun -Thurs through March 5, 2021.
- Rates start at $140.25 per person, plus tax, representing a 25 percent savings.
Year-Round Lodging Packages: Beyond Best of Winter, many of the island’s hotels offer boat and lodging packages, which can be found here
Renowned for its wide-open spaces, natural scenery, pristine beaches and unique terrain, Catalina Island is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream destination. Campgrounds will reopen February 12, 2021.
There are also nine boat-in campsites with stunning views and unspoiled beaches. More information about camping on Catalina Island can be found here.
To accommodate smaller group sizes and social distancing, visitors are encouraged to make reservations in advance and verify activities or status directly with the business prior to booking.