Based in Maine, Bombay Mahal brings a taste of India’s vibrant food and culture to the US. For over 30 years they have been beloved by many and their influence has spread far and wide, making them one of Maine’s most popular ethnic dining spots.
- Kulfee – Similar to ice cream in appearance and texture, Kulfee is a creamy, frozen dessert originally from Persian cuisine. Served chilled, it is often flavored with a combination of any of all of the following: pistachio, saffron, cardamom, almonds, and vanilla.
- Gulab Jamun – Gulab jamun is a rich, indulgent dessert consisting of fried dough balls. Made from khoya, which is a kind of milk powder shaped into a ball, these delicious treats are deep-fried and dipped in a sugary syrup, giving them an enticing glossy appearance. Gulab jamun is delicately flavored, often with rose water and pistachio, and sometimes served with shredded coconut.
- Gajar Ka Halwa – This is a popular Indian dessert made from grated carrot which is simmered in milk and cardamom, fried in ghee and sugar, and garnished with nuts and dried fruits. This vibrant, buttery treat is sometimes served during celebrations and festivals such as the Hindu festival of light.
- Kheer– Known as Payasam in South India, this is a deliciously creamy rice pudding dish cooked with milk, raisins, almonds, cardamom, vanilla, and rose water. Milk-based puddings are a common part of Indian cuisine and this is one of the most popular versions.
- Sandesh–Originating in the Bengal region, Sandesh is a delectable milk-based sweet. Surprisingly easy to make, it is a beautifully simple combination of crumbled paneer and powdered sugar, flavored with cardamom. As with many Indian desserts, there are a number of variations of this dish, which can also be made with milk or chenna (a residue of curdled milk).
You may also like
Visit Rancho Mirage’s Agua Caliente Resort Casino Spa
Ono Hawaiian BBQ Celebrates 20th Anniversary
Mezcal Campante Scores Big with Chilled 100 Spirits Awards and the LA Spirits Awards
Easy and Healthy Dairy Recipes For Summer
The Cheese Store of Beverly Hills gets a new owner for the first time in 44 years